Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Tale of the Whales

           SeaWorld is being sued for enslaving killer whales. Yes, PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) is suing SeaWorld because they believe that SeaWorld is violating the 13th Amendment which abolishes slavery or involuntary servitude. SeaWorld says that they are not harming the animals in any way and that they take care of the whales the best they can. The whales are not starved or left without the care they may need. Another thing that has come up is that many are saying it is indecent to compare whales living at SeaWorld to such a serious thing as human slavery. Slavery is wrong and so is harming an animal, but they seem to be on different levels. SeaWorld has not been harming these whales. I definitely do not believe in intentionally harming an animal. They are part of God’s creation and I intend to respect that. But I believe that applying the 13th Amendment to animals is taking it out of context.
    You can read more on this .

Written by Christina Mason.

3 comments:

  1. And that is what our country is coming to since our system of MAGISTRATAL INTERPOSITIONISM is becoming so skewed. People need to be set back in their places. PETA needs reigning in to only dealing with animal cruelty, which is rampant, and not creating mindless drama. They definitely have a hamasantal worldview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m all about treating animals correctly and everything, but these people are going over bored. If they’re making such a big fuss about this, then where are the protesters outside of the facilities that house the cows, chickens, pigs, that we eat? Those poor animals are being subjected and not limited to wrongful imprisonment and 1st degree murder.

    I remember this, but I have only seen one incident with the housing these animals and that was when they had video of the handlers beating the chickens .With this I don’t think they had anything of the sort. As Lily said it seem to be mindless drama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindless drama - just like any organization, PETA is looking for free media coverage. If they attack SeaWorld they become the center of controversial media coverage and more people that support their cause (for no logical reason, often) donate more money.

    Also, SeaWorld offers large media coverage, but it is an issue that is only controversial enough get most people interested, not really riled. If they attacked chicken farms, etc, then they would get some major enemies. This way it ensures interest and donations, but not a 'World War III' of PETA against the meat-loving world! Silly.

    ReplyDelete